Monday, July 1, 2019

Tar Bars Licorice Candy

Famous Thackeray treat.  It is like a caramel but licorice.  We used to drive to "The Nut Tree" in Vacaville California and buy these treats  "Tar Bars."  Always a stop on our way to the Oakland Temple.

Ingredients:

1 can sweet and condensed milk
2 c sugar
1 c butter
1/4 t salt
1 1/2 c light Karo syrup
1 tsp Anise extract
1 tsp Black paste food color(do not use liquid)

Cook first 5 ingredients and stir constantly until temp is at 234° Take off stove and add Anise oil and black paste food color.
Pour into a 9X13 buttered or Pam sprayed dish.  Cool
Take out of dish and lay on buttered counter.  Cut into strips  and cut into pieces. Wrap in wax paper, clear wrap.
Hint:  I use a buttered sharp knife, and to release candy from 9X13  dip bottom of the dish in hot water for a few seconds.


13 comments:

  1. OMG! If this is really the recipe I will know. I grew up on these things. Going to the nut tree was the biggest thrill. I would buy 5-6 before we left and make them last untill I knew we were going again. No matter what though every year on Mothers Day for lunch. The atrium was simply amazing. Just thinking about it makes me feel like a kid again. Thank you for the memories and the recipe. Can't wait to get paid and make "Tar Bars!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can not tell you how thrilled I am to see this. I’ve been looking for years. I thought I was the only one in the world that remembered them. My favorite Candy ❤️❤️❤️
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are u talking about the ones black and silver wrapper?

      Delete
  3. I just made it.. I can’t believe it but it taste just like I remember. I could not be happier. Now let’s see if it sets up good. THANK YOU for one of the very best childhood memories.❤️
    The Nut Tree Tar Bar ‼️❤️‼️❤️
    THANK YOU 😘‼️

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats for posting this recipe. You might enjoy reading my short story shout out to tar bars here https://www.offcourseofcourse.me/absinthe-makes-the-heart-grow-fonder

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just made this. The temp seems quite low at 234 deg f (technically syrup range). I should think we should be at soft or even hardball stage. Next time I'm going for 265 deg f, hardball stage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our caramels are also at 234 degrees and they turn out perfect. Elevation could effect degrees so you could take it up to 240 if needed. This recipe was created in Northern California.

      Delete
  6. Wow… I’ve been thinking about this licorice tar bar every time I eat regular black licorice thank you for posting this recipe I definitely will make a batch every month for the rest of my life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jeane,
    Thank you for posting this. I'm so excited to try this out. Just want to clarify on the recipe, is that 1/4 tsp or tbsp salt?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also, the anise oil; what brand/type are you using? And is it different from extract?

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great recipe... I've made it twice and I suggest the followings...you have to add about 5xs the anise... Plus l it needs to be folded on itself like the way they stretch taffy in order for it to strengthen to keep it's form... I'm about to make my 3rd batch. With all the new techniques described.

    ReplyDelete