Thursday, June 3, 2010

Crash Hot Potatoes

Everyone in my house is singing my praises when I make these. We aren't huge fans of the potato, but these are a hit! Make at least two per adult... you will want more than one. Also, I think the smaller the potato you use, the better because you get a higher crispy to mushy ratio. (The crunchiness is our favorite part!) Enjoy!


Hot Crash Potatoes
Printable Version

12 whole New Potatoes (or Other Small Round Potatoes)

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil

Kosher Salt to Taste

Black Pepper to Tast
e
Herb Of Choice to Taste

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add in as many potatoes as you wish to make and cook them until they are fork-tender. (I used yukon gold potatoes for this picture. I have also used the small red ones and they were also delicious.)

On a sheet pan, generously drizzle olive oil. Place tender potatoes on the cookie sheet leaving plenty of room between each potato.

With a potato masher, gently press down each potato until it slightly mashes, rotate the potato masher 90 degrees and mash again. Brush the tops of each crushed potato generously with more olive oil.

Sprinkle potatoes with kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper and fresh herb. (rosemary, chives, thyme or whatever herb you have available.) I used green onion out of my garden.

Bake in a 450 degree oven for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.

Recipe from Pioneer Woman Cooks

3 comments:

  1. These look yummy! We're big potatoes eaters, these are sure to be a hit... I can't wait to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this with regular potatoes and when I smashed them they just crumbled on the first smash...and stuck all up in my potato masher's grill... Any thoughts? They were still very tasty. Maybe I should have boiled them longer... maybe it was the type of potato I used... To many variables ;) I'll try different things and update my post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How small were your potatoes? I would say they need to be golf ball size or smaller. Lol... they do kinda stick to the potato masher. I just used a fork and poked at it a bit when it tried to stick. Also, don't worry about smashing the life out of them. Gently smash the first time, even if it doesn't break the skin... then when you rotate and smash again, give it a bit more force. If mine crumble i just use a fork to piece them back together. More surface area the better, b/c of the crispiness. Keep trying. Check out pioneer woman's pics... might help.

    ReplyDelete